3/28/11

Spinach and Sausage Penne

Today's photo of the day just so happens to be of my dinner.  So today is a double wammy day.  You get my photo of the day and also a recipe.  Woo-Hoo!

March 28, 2011:


See it on flickr.

This is a modified recipe for Sausage and Spinach Penne I found over at Your Home Based Mom.  I kinda just used what I had on hand and went with it.  She calls for chicken sausage, I had pork.  She called for fresh diced tomatoes, I didn't have fresh or canned, so I went with tomato sauce.  She calls for topping it off with almonds (which I did have but my fam isn't too big on nuts) but I decided to throw in a can of beans.

I think it turned out pretty well.  It was quick, cheap, and easy.  Not to mention it was easy on the dishes...only one pot for the whole meal!  These are things I think everyone can appreciate, am I right?

Here's the recipe:


Sausage and Spinach Penne

8 oz. dry penne
1 lb sausage, casings removed
2 cloves minced garlic
4 C. loosely packed fresh baby spinach
2 tsp. chicken bouillon 
1 (4 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 oz. water
1 can of beans
Parmesan cheese to taste

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and set aside. 
  2. Cook the sausage in the pot that you cooked the noodles in.  
  3. When sausage is done cooking, add the garlic and smoosh around until the garlic is fragrant. 
  4. Add the spinach and cook for a few minutes, until the spinach is wilted.  
  5. Add the chicken bouillon, water, and tomato sauce and stir well.  
  6. Add the pasta back into the pan.
  7. Let everything simmer for a few minutes.  Top with some shredded parm if you wish and serve!
I would say this yields about 4-6 servings, depending on the size of your servings.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment